Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sun Protection

One of the most important thing for Carrah's well being is that we take the right precautions to prevent damaging sun exposure to her skin as well as her eyes. People with Albinism have a much higher risk of developing skin cancer because of their lack of pigmentation.

Something that I noticed even before she was diagnosed was that she couldn't open her eyes outside in the sunlight, or even in bright indoor lights for that matter. The truth is the sunlight can be physically painful to her eyes. For this reason she wears UV protected hats and sunglasses while outdoors.

My favorite UV protected hats and sunglasses so far have come from a company called Coolibar Quality Sun Protection for LIfe.

Carrah is not the biggest fan of hats, but I continue to put them on her in hope that she will get used to them one day.

Another HUGE importance is sunscreen. I have bought more sunscreen in the passed 3 months than I have my entire life. I'm trying so many different products looking for the perfect one. So far my favorite is Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen SPF 70+

I also tried Banana Boat Ultramist Sunblock Continuous Lotion Spray, Babies Tear Free SPF 50 and hated it! Not that it is a bad product, but how are you supposed to spray sunscreen on a baby? LOL! It was the hardest thing ever. Now for when they're a little bit older, probably a great product!

Doing these things may be a hassle, but it only takes a few minutes to protect her from those awful and damaging sun rays!

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP